Choosing the Best Self Storage Facility
So you have landed in the position of needing self-storage? That’s ok! Statistics show that 1 in 8 people in Australia shares the same problem with you at least once in their lifetime… so good news you are not alone. A storage solution can sometimes be a daunting idea to many but the truth is, it’s easy to find a self-storage company that’s local to you in most parts of the country and they are all happy to rent a storage shed for your treasured belongings.
Whether you need to temporarily store belongings while moving or store them long term after downsizing, storage provides an excellent, space-saving solution. Storage facilities are a secure, convenient and easy-to-find option for those in need of extra storage space. The majority of storage facilities also offer a wide range of unit sizes and services to meet your budget and needs.
Whilst some companies offer a “we come to you” option, the majority of the self-storage businesses offer a service where customers are responsible for delivering their belongings to the storage unit themselves. When they wish to take an item out of storage, they pick it up themselves as well. In other cases, customers are also responsible for documenting their own belongings.
Most reputable self-storage companies have a website that you can visit to find essential information such as their location/s and offers. It is a common mistake for people searching online to look for the cheapest offer right away, thinking that all storage facilities are the same. While it’s not an unreasonable method, there is a better way.
What should I look for?
Rather than concentrate on price ask yourself a simple question: Will my goods be safe and sound until I need them back? The answer to this question should only have one answer… YES! But how can you be sure? As we all know, there are no guarantees in life but looking for the following in a storage facility may lessen the chance of disappointment when you come to collect your goods.
- Security features and policies. Learn about the facility’s physical security measures such as lighting, fences, gates and locks; their monitoring schemes like in-person surveillance, video recording, and after-hours supervision; and access policies addressing concerns such as the people allowed in the facility and the units. If you have even the littlest doubt, follow your gut and move on to the next facility on your list.
- Accessibility. Do they offer 24-hour access to the storage units? Are they open on Sundays? What about holidays? Be sure that the facility’s hours match your availability before renting a unit.
- Pricing and contracts offered. What specific services can I get and how much would it cost me? Do they offer an all-inclusive package or do I have to pay for each feature?
- Sizes offered. What if my goods don’t fit into the unit I have? Can I swap? Is there availability to do so? Is there a good range of sizing to choose from?
- Online reviews of the facility. Take personal referrals to the digital level. How do current and previous renters find the storage facility and their storage experience? Does the company have a good reputation? How long have they been in business?
- Added Value. Some facilities offer features and services that other self-storage companies do not. These added values come as free move-in truck and trailer, low-cost quality moving boxes and packaging and insurance. Reputable companies offer these types of add-ons to their customers as part of their service. Ask!
Having these questions addressed ensures that you find the self-storage facility with not just the best price but the security you require for your peace of mind. You’re paying good money after all. Why settle for less than the best?
Should I insure my storage items?
Having a storage insurance policy is highly recommended. While many people think that storage facilities must be safer than their homes, insurance coverage provides an additional tier of assurance in case something unfortunate happens. Most companies go to great lengths to ensure the security of your valuables. Self-storage insurance strongly backs it up for your peace of mind.
Storage companies are mindful of this need. Many facilities invested in having excellent construction and security features, going beyond meeting regulatory requirements, enabling them to negotiate low-cost insurance coverage for their renters.
Ready to Store?
Then fire up that laptop and start searching for the best self-storage company for you. You now know what questions to ask.
Fortunately for you, Safe ‘n’ SOUND Self Storage can answer all your questions and offers quality, clean, individually alarmed self-storage units that are accessible 24/7, 365 days of the year. For more information on finding the best storage solutions, see the 9 Things You Need to Know About Self Storage.